The most breathtaking Cheongsams you can actually buy in Malaysia

Share it Please
Written by Eileen Woo

The Lunar New Year is fast approaching! Cue firecrackers, crates of oranges, liondances, and the upcoming gambling streak. It's also that one time of the year where I can prance around in a pretty cheongsam and get away with it.

Call me old fashioned, but I've always admired the tradition and elegance of the Cheongsam. Which is why I actually have tons of them stored up in my closet.

My only problem? Once CNY is over, I hardly have the chance to wear them again. And as much as I love my Cheongsams, I can't help but feel it's a bit of a waste of money (and closet space). So this year, I opted to search for a more contemporary version of the Cheongsam - one that I can actually wear a few times outside of the CNY celebrations.

Here are my top 5 picks!


5. Oracle Dress, Clothesforfun


www.clothesforfun.com
This pretty Mandarin Collar piece simply screams simplicity at its best! When you're not rocking this during CNY, you can wear it for Sunday brunch with the girls.

Where to get it: www.clothesforfun.com, 65 MYR


4. Shanghai Ocean Cheongsam, PhatCulture.com



www.phatculture.com
When you're not sashaying elegantly into the room during CNY house-hopping, this piece actually doubles as a really pretty party dress. Just slip on your favourite heels and change it up with a huge statement necklace.

Where to get it: www.PhatCulture.com, 59 MYR


3. Jarrell Jacquard Cheongsam, Love, Bonito


www.lovebonito.com
Despite the heavily traditional print, it's actually very easy to turn this cheongsam into something you can wear on your casual days out. Add a bit of edge by slipping on a pair of boots instead of heels. You can either let down your hair or tie it up into a simple ponytail, and I'd make sure to lay off the elaborate earrings if I were you. And there you go, instant street wear!

It also comes in an array of pretty colours!

www.lovebonito.com


Where to get it: www.lovebonito.com, SGD$39


2. Oriental Cheongsam, MGP


www.mgplabel.com
Need I say more? This piece can actually serve as one of those versatile smart casual dresses in your closet. If you're still afraid that it looks too Gong-Xi-Fa-Cai, opt for either the white or the yellow one.

www.mgplabel.com
Where to get it: www.mgplabel.com, SGD$33.50


1. Paxton Top, Love Bonito


www.lovebonito.com
This is by far, my favourite of the lot. I get that the design is a bit dated, you've probably seen it everywhere, but hear me out. 

First off, I love the subtle mandarin collar. It looks a little oriental yet it's just contemporary enough for me to wear it anytime I want. But how is it different from the other pieces I've listed out? 

Well, it's a top. I can actually mix and match it with anything I want to on a whim. 

www.lovebonito.com
See what I mean?
Needless to say, this is the piece I ended up buying.

Where to get it: www.lovebonito.com, SGD$29


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers