BRATs Melacca 2014 Part 1

Share it Please

“Hey Clarissa” 


Ian’s message popped up on my phone, “You still interested in senior-ing for this trip’s BRAT’s camp?” He asked.

I had missed the last one because of a family trip to Thailand, so I was still getting a lot of flak for dropping out at the last minute.

Okay, no. That’s not the version we agreed on.

In all honesty-not-really-but-okay, I’d been harassing Ian for the past year for a chance to senior for the next BRATs camp. It’s was unbearable. I was relentless -

 So desperate.

- Until ultimately he gave in (in what I’d like to believe was a table flip and near-manic “What will it TAKE to get her off my back??”) and let me hop on board. Because really, ever since I moved back to Penang, things haven’t been the same for me.

I guess both accounts are true-ISH, depending on how you want to see it. But either way, I found myself getting on an 8 hour bus ride to Melaka that involved screaming babies. A pervy middle aged man, and one very, very slow bus driver.

BRATs is young journalist camp for teens from the age of 16 to 19. The acronym stands for Bright, Roving, Annoying Teens, which I suppose is a pretty apt name, given the sort of people we’ve managed to attract in the past (it takes a certain type of person to enjoy writing, and another sort to willingly put that writing up for critique and judgement)  VJs, international models, chart topping bloggers (ahem), you name it.

I was a little more than apprehensive about the thought of handling thirty-over – practically forty­ – angsty teenagers. Not because I think I’m cooler than them (which so does not need proving), but because I’ve been a BRAT before and BOY WAS I OBNOXIOUS. I feel bad for whichever poor soul who had to lead my team (I afterwards found out that not only did I forget said person, but no one seems to recall me either. Huh.) I thought I was the best writer on the planet, that my farts smelt like roses, and that my shit don’t stink (all of which were proven to be disastrously wrong).

So you can see why I wasn’t sure if I wanted to keep up with 38 past-Clarissas; I cannot stress this point enough: I. Was. A. Little. Shit.

I arrived at the hotel some time around 4pm, having taken a taxi ride from Melaka Sentral to Quayside hotel and MAN, did the place look posh. What was previously some sort of warehouse had been converted into an artsy loft-styled hotel that looked super atas, in a Tumblr sort of way.

Ian and the rest of the R.age team – May Lee and Vivienne – arrived an hour later, considerate enough to bang on my door for a full minute before letting me know that I had the wrong room. Fuck.

The kids* were arriving the next morning, so that night would be the only responsibility-free one we’d have until the end of the workshop.





It's shoooooo pretty


The night before.

 


Our first stop was Pak Putera Nasi Kandar where I had multiple foodgasms in one sitting. It was a first for me. I could hardly stand up after we were done. I’ve never done it with three other people before.

Really, this is too easy, I can go on all night (Ayyyyyyy).

Then we walked down Jalan Heeren, Jalan Jonker, and  Jalan Tukang Besi to get an idea of where the BRATs would be doing their assignment the next day.

Nearly all of the shop houses were closed for the day and the roads were glowing with a dusty yellow streetlamp-glow. On Jalan Heeren there was the sound of live piano music dancing out from a tropical looking café, darkly lit and empty. At the back sat a man behind a huge, black grand piano.

Then we turned down to Jalan Jonker and walked past more closed buildings till we got to the main road where a few food stalls were closing.

On Jalan Tukang Besi, reggae music was blasting from a dingy, little store. When we got to the source of the Jamaican beats, we saw a couple of foreigners chilling outside on rattan lounge chairs. The interior was a narrow and plainly furnished with a couch, a counter for the cash register, three tables, and a fridge way at the back, filled with nothing but orange juice**.

We had a can each and sat at a table near the couch where three middle aged Chinese men were sitting and rolling joints. That was when I noticed that the walls were entirely plastered with magazine cut outs of random things. And cat heads. A lot of cat heads. All the images of people had their heads replaced with that of cats. It was bizarre.





We could have gone back to our hotel then, but hey, it was 1 in the morning and we had at least another hour to kill. So we drove around in this completely inconspicuous looking The Star van, through dark empty roads on night-chilled asphalt.

There was a stretch of real nasty looking pubs and nightclubs. Outside one, stood a crowd of about 20 people who were either cheering or standing idly in the middle of the street, directly in front of where we were heading.

“Oh my god I think they’re fighting.” May Lee said, from the high perch of her shotgun seat.

“Let’s get out of here”  Said Vivienne, who looked like she wanted to be anywhere else but.

The crowd made way for our van as we drove past slowly. From my window, I saw a man stumble across the street, blood flowing from his head down to his torso. This was getting a lot more exciting than I had anticipated.

Just as we made a two-metre headway, people started running in all directions. A man actually ran so fast he made it past our van and went on sprinting. It was hilarious. Bless his soul.

At first we thought that there must have been a cop car coming from behind, but when I turned around, all I saw was a blank van. “Oh my god” I said, “I think they’re running from us.”

And our The Star charity van. Imagine that.

We managed to find our way back to the hotel where everyone collapsed on their bed . I fell asleep nearly as soon as my head sunk into the pillow. I didn’t even get around to hearing May Lee’s snores.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers