Some good news, bad news, and an epiphany at work

Share it Please
Today was my final work appraisal before confirmation. At first I was going to drag that out a bit, build some suspense, but I figured to best write it the way it happened.

“Clarissa, do you have 30 minutes?” Ian asked.

I was emailing Jane from Le Cordon Bleu some of our Food Fight photos. “Uh…hang on.”

“Okay. I was thinking we could get your last work appraisal done by today.” That was how he announced it. How he did most things, really. Level three. Now.

Then Ian left to book a meeting room while I finished up.

The first thing he said once I got there and which kind of set the tone of the appraisal was this:

“So this is how I’m going to grade you,” he said. In his hand was the appraisal form with a line chart at the bottom that followed my progression from the two previous appraisals. The line rose steadily but not steepy from 27 to 28. “I’m going to mark you 29, which is saying a lot because it’s the highest I’ve ever given anyone. So,” he paused,” your work from now should reflect that.”

It was kind of like that moment you read about or see in films when the gruff and aloof father puts his hand on his son’s shoulder and says ‘Good job son’. Even though Ian is neither gruff nor aloof, I keep getting this feeling like I’m letting him down, or like I’m not doing enough. So I told him as much.

“That’s good,” he said. “But you handled the Food Fight project quite well, considering you’re still so new.”

Oh.

“But that just means it’s so speculative.”

“What do you mean?”

I said, “That just means the high scores are, like, just based on my inexperience and not actual merit. ‘Considering you’re so young’, ‘considering you’re so new’, you know?”

What I did not say was, what if I didn’t live up to the hype? What if those numbers and his impression born from my “potential” never materialized?

I was happy, sure, but it felt a lot like celebrating on the edge of a cliff/ You didn’t want to get too excited.

Ian said something about how in reality, you had to take these things into consideration, and, and something else. I wasn’t listening. Like I said, I was happy.

Then came the patty of my compliment – constructive criticism – compliment burger. He went over the breakdown of my marks, writing down the justification for why he gave the marks as high, or low, as he did, in the remarks section.

“The one thing you’re struggling with right now is your writing skill,” he said.

Did I see this coming? I saw this coming. Of course I did. Most of what I’ve been churning out for Food Fight was complacent, lazy copy. Still, it stung to hear him say it, of course it did.

He went on, “You’ve gotten a lot wore than when you were writing as an intern. Back then, the one thing I could be sure of was your writing. The other stuff…” he paused, “you were kind of flighty.”

He continued with how he knew it was probably because all my recent articles were about Food Fight. How he knew it wasn’t easy, that I was lacking in context and though.

It was all true. Every painful word of it. They say you don’t remember everything a person has done for you but you will always remember how they made you feel. I knew right then that I had made him feel disappointed, even if he didn’t remember what exactly it was I had written to make him feel that way.

I tried. I really did. I wrote down almost all of the comments he gave so I could improve my prose. I made it a point not to repeat any of the mistakes he mentioned – there were so many. It got to the point where I was just writing for the sake of submitting my text.

The goo moments – those times when I’d pen down a line and go “Hey, that sounds pretty good” and have no idea where it came from – got less and less. They would feel like a puzzle piece clicking into place.  They weren’t there anymore. I knew what Ian meant, but I didn’t know what to do about it.

I realize that his thing – the fishing in your word well until you come up with an amazing spot of clarity – that’s something you can’t learn.

Jerrie once told me that as a photographer, he has to take a hundred “meh” photos to get a perfect one. But his taking 90% unusable pictures doesn’t mean that he’s bad. It just means he put in as much effort as his talent deserved.

So if you’re still reading, take this away with you, if nothing else: Write down a thousand words, then remove 800 of them. The remaining 200 should be your final copy. If you submit all of what you wrote in your first draft, it just means you could have done better but you didn’t. I didn’t.

That was my problem. I could have done better. Don’t be like me.

Food Fight is R.AGE's search for the next Malaysian food celebrity.
You can check it out here: rage.com.my/foodfight



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers